Sunday, October 28, 2018

Product Review: The Body Shop Seaweed Skin Care (Part 1 of 2)


Because I have combination skin, I've been looking for products that would help keep oil (sebum) under control without drying the skin. That's how I came across The Body Shop's Seaweed Line. I looked into other products but I found them either beyond my budget, or too strong for my aging skin.

I've been a fan of The Body Shop but mainly for their bath and body products, not for facial skin care. I have recently come to the resolve that my Asian skin should use Asian products because they're what works. But since seaweed is an ingredient which was first used in Asian skin care, I figured products The Body Shop's Seaweed Line would be worth a try.

According to their website,
Designed for combination skin, our seaweed helps to restore balance and control excess oil to help give you a shine-free, matte finish. 
Having read that, I watched out for the soonest sale event and I got the Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash and the Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream. I was tempted to get the trial/travel pack but I opted to get the regular sizes for these two products since they're the ones that I need most. Besides, I can test the claims better by using a combination of at least two products in the skin care line rather than just one.


Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash

Description

Here's what the website claims about the product:
This mild cleansing gel is oil and soap-free. It helps rebalance moisture and sebum levels as it cleanses.
It has a mild minty scent. I actually feel like I'm using a mint product more than a seaweed-based product. I find the scent a bit too strong but that's subjective and as long as the product works then the scent is not a major concern for me.

Claims

I'm going to address their claims point by point.

Removes make-up, impurities and excess oil. It does cleanse the skin fairly well, but I still feel the need to use a separate make-up remover or cleansing gel/oil before using the facial wash. Without it, I still see some eye make-up left even after thorough washing. As for the excess oil, I do feel that it helps control oil production.

Leaves skin feeling refreshed. Yes, I feel refreshed after every wash. There are times when I feel some amount of tightness which can indicate that it had a drying effect on my skin, however this does not happen very often and I feel the moisturizer helps achieve a more balanced effect. I prefer this facial wash in the morning to prime my skin for an oil-controlled day ahead and so far I've been happy with it.

Gives a shine-free, matte finish. It does leave my skin shine-free and moisturized but only if done in combination with the right moisturizer, in my case also from The Body Shop Seaweed Range. By itself, I feel the shine-free finish might not be achieved (because the cleanser can tend to have a drying effect) or the shine-free finish might not last too long because it lacks the amount of ingredient to keep sebum under control. I haven't tried to see what would happen if I go without moisturizer. I just could not risk it at my age.

Packaging

This cleanser comes in a 100ml bottle. It's large enough to last a long time, but too big to carry around. Plus, the flip-top bottle dispenses more than I need each time I try to use it, leading me to believe that it's a way for us to use up the product faster so we keep buying more. I sure hope I'm wrong, though. To remedy this, I moved a small amount into a squeeze pump bottle making dispensing the right amount easier.

Price and Availability

This 100ml bottle is available in The Body Shop stores in most major malls.  I have to admit I feel that The Body Shop charges rather steeply for their products, but then with the right product and with a significant discount, it's well worth the spend.

The Verdict

I'm enjoying this facial wash. I know there may be others out there that can be more effective, but I'm sure they're beyond my budget so for my middle-class Manila income, this will do. Besides, skin care isn't only about using the right products but also about eating clean, staying healthy, getting enough sleep, and managing stress. I'd much rather spend the extra bucks on eating right.

Until I find a better one at the same price range, I'm sticking to this facial wash for my mornings (I use another brand at night).













No comments:

Post a Comment