Monday, March 4, 2013

The Return to Tinago Falls

In January 2012, I happened to be in Cagayan De Oro when a group of friends and my brother-in-law were also scheduled to be there and I had a chance to show them around. I didn't realize until that time that it's been 10 years since I've been to Tinago Falls. Tinago Falls in Iligan City was still it's beautiful self, the water still clean and refreshing, and the sound of its cascade both scary and magnificent as always.

True to its name, Tinago Falls is hidden in a ravine that can be accessed by a long series of descending steps. From the top of the stairs you can hear the loud sound of cascading waters, but you wouldn't see the falls until you get to the bottom of the ravine where the water falls into a pool about 90 feet deep. 

It turns out that there are two entry points to Tinago Falls. In 2002, we took the entrance from Linamon, Lanao Del Sur. This time, we took the one from Iligan City. Each has a long staircase that takes you to the pool below. 
This was the easier part of the stairs.

The Fun Part

We planned to stay there about an hour, see the place, take photos, swim a bit. We were supposed to head back to Cagayan De Oro before noon but we enjoyed the view and the water so much that we stayed the entire morning.





We took the raft to the ledge. 
Using the rope that guides the raft to the main waterfall, we pulled the raft to the ledge. The main cascade was heavy, the current right where it falls was powerful. It was the darkest and scariest part of the pool. One cannot help but marvel at the sheer beauty and power of Tinago Falls.






The Sad Part

It looks like there's a territorial dispute between Linamon and Iligan City over the management of Tinago Falls. Notice the bridge at the right side of the photo, the part that adjoins to the Iligan side is cut off.


You also pay for cottages and the required life jackets. Each side of the "border" has its own picnic area and set of life jackets and charges for them separately.

Now I don't mind paying any voluntary fees that are supposedly meant for helping maintain any tourist spot.

The "Donation Box" and Registration Sheet at the entry to the short trail to Tinago Falls. They say it's for maintenance purposes.

But I was disappointed to find this at the picnic area:


Trash, both biodegradable and non-biodegradable, littered the picnic area.


There was no proper waste collection.

This cute, innocent dog had no idea how much mess was around him


I have since emailed these photos to the local, regional, and national offices of the Department of Tourism. They swiftly replied to my email, acknowledging its receipt. However, I do not know if any action has been made to correct this and I would love to get feedback from anyone about this concern.

I enjoyed this trip to Tinago Falls. But since I was not with my husband and my daughter who also love the outdoors, it was not as fun as I hoped it would be. Someday soon I will be back with them. Plus, I will be chasing the majestic waterfalls of Iligan City and I will be blogging about them.

Related entries:

To see my other waterfall adventures, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment